Tuesday 20 November 2012

Speaking a language in 3 months?

START ENGLISHWatch, listen, speak. Tips and tricks about English.

This post is not necessarily English related but about the ability of quickly acquiring a new language.

As I mentioned before, in my professional life I always get asked questions like these: “How soon will I be able to speak English?”, “When can I sustain a fluent conversation?”


I have found an interesting article here about the blog of a multilingual bloke who claims he can speak a new language in three months, provided he spends this time in that particular country.


I guess he is right, but spending the time and trying to socialize and to use the language as much as one can are the necessary conditions. I might add a new condition: not having a language of communication can improve the process. Using the new language in all real-life situations and associating concepts and situations with the new vocabulary would be very helpful in the long run.

That is why I appeal to my students not to use another language of communication in class (except for English, of course).


Nevertheless, I cannot compare the two situations; if somebody lives or works in a foreign country for 3 months, he is in constant contact with the language. But if one studies a language 3 or 4 hours a week (+ the additional time spent for homework), his contact with the language is obviously limited.


The questions which remains is: “What happens after you leave that country?” or “How much can you preserve from the knowledge acquired if you stop using that language?


Speak English for 300 lei a month!


Web: www.cursinengleza.ro I www.engleza-de-afaceri.ro
Tel: 0722.841.053
E-mail: contact@engleza-de-afaceri.ro.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment