Monday 16 January 2012

Learn English/ About adjectives (1)

Lately I have taught the adjectives in the English language with a view to the degrees of comparison and I couldn’t help noticing some of my students’ difficulties.
The thing that you have to keep in mind is to follow the rules for the comparative and superlative degrees. As I keep repeating myself during classes, the study of English is all about the rules. Use them and remember them and you will improve your use of the language.

I have noticed one of my students’ common mistakes when they say: “This dress is much beautiful than that one”. The correct sentence is: “This dress is much more beautiful than that one”. The source of this mistake is that students do not really differentiate much from more, which is appropriately used for the comparative, while much is optional.
Another thing you should remember is to always use much with the comparative degree.
So always say: “much more beautiful” and “much nicer”.
Next time I will have an article about the IELTS examination.

No comments:

Post a Comment