Thursday 29 September 2011

Better to speak a little than not at all

In this blog, I'd want to provide some useful suggestions for new students, as promised.

They come into class sometimes terrified, sometimes motivated to learn because they have to, but they always ask a lot of questions, such as:

When will I be able to speak English?

Will I be able to have a competent conversation in English in four or six months?

When will I be able to have an interview in English? ......

There are numerous questions like this, but I've discovered that the most important demand from all of my pupils is the ability to speak the language. The kids can do a variety of jobs, but when I ask them to engage in a discourse in a specific context, they run out of words (they cannot find their words).

What is the explanation? Beginners have a propensity to think in their native tongue, which is why they wish to translate everything from one language to another. This is not a healthy habit to form for the future, so when they attempt to explain themselves in English, they first think in their home language, then translate. This is time-consuming and tough. It is difficult to translate sentences from one language to another, and it is not suited for beginners. "Translations are for translators, not pupils," I always remark.

So, when you attempt to express anything, remember the norms of that language, which include utilizing a subject and a verb, as well as paying attention to the tense of the verb. It is challenging, but not impossible. You will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment