Tuesday 27 December 2011

Invata engleza/ About the use of tenses (2)

As my readers have noticed, my articles are based not upon any manuals or textbooks but on actual teaching, on interacting with my students and analyzing their difficulties and mostly the mistakes they make while using the language.
During some of my beginner and elementary classes, I have noticed an interesting mistake. This mistake involves the use of the present tense simple and the present tense continuous. Instead of using one of these tenses, the students prefer a combination of the two and the outcome is: “I speaking”.
A few tips: when you use a specific tense, try to follow its rule and use it in context, meaning find a reason why to use this tense and not another one. So you either use the present simple or the present continuous, in this situation.
The correct sentence is: “I am speaking”, because I understand that the action happens at the moment of speaking. Another article about the present tense simple you can find here.
More interesting tips about the tenses  will be in the articles to come.

Pentru mai multe informatii va rugam sa ne accesati paginile web: www.StartEnglish.ro.
www.Engleza-de-Afaceri.ro

 

No comments:

Post a Comment